Collings 470 JL Julian Lage Signature Model - Antiqued Blonde
The success of the Collings OM1 JL combined with Julian Lage’s love of electric guitars meant a second Collings-Julian collaboration was inevitable. But following such a highly praised signature model with yet another meant leaving nothing on the table. From its organic beginnings, the process envisioned by both parties was something designed and built from the sound up.
The Collings 470 JL is the result of years-long conversations, engineering, testing, tweaking, playing, and listening. And then doing it all over again until it was right. From first sketches through plugging in the final prototypes, every aspect of this model inside and out is the result of a unique approach, technique, and style - both from the builder’s and player’s point of view - culminating in a one-of-a-kind electric guitar experience.
In collaboration with our friend Julian Lage, we proudly present the Collings 470 JL.
Trestle Block Construction
Hollow body resonance and weight with the look and feedback resistance of a solid body were key characteristics desired by Julian from inception of the 470 JL. In response, our team went through multiple engineering R&D phases culminating in a fully hollow trestle block body design that utilizes a solid mahogany body and maple laminate top.
Ron Ellis Pickups
We've teamed up with esteemed pickup maker Ron Ellis to offer a truly elevated experience with this signature model: those seeking the power of a higher wound pickup with the fidelity and clarity of a true vintage single coil will not be left wanting after plugging in the 470 JL and its pair of custom-adjustable Ellisonics.
Not only for vibrato use, the Bigsby B3 comes standard on every 470 to provide the sort of open, loose feel desired among vintage guitar enthusiasts.
To achieve the comfortable, accessible feel desired, a custom neck was created which incorporates Julian’s preferences for a symmetrical design and narrower fingerboard in the upper fret range, along with a C/V hybrid profile.
The 470 JL is finished in our ultra-thin nitrocellulose lacquer with a subtle, hand-rubbed “Antiqued” patina, allowing the trestle-block body to fully respond while adding a gently worn-in aesthetic and feel.
Complementing the Collings script logo is an all-new peghead profile available only on the 470 JL. Custom designed in collaboration with Julian, it retains the signature offset Collings “haircut” notch and is the first new Collings peghead profile offered in decades.
A combination of exacting PLEK machine leveling and hand fret dressing ensures consistently excellent playability and a silky fret feel.
Meticulous workmanship and attention to detail have been core tenets of Collings instruments since their earliest days. We're proud to not only have maintained this focus on quality over the years, but continue to improve upon it with each instrument we produce.
- Construction: Fully hollow w/ trestle block
- Body: Solid Honduran mahogany
- Top: Maple laminate
- Neck: Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding: Non-grained ivoroid
- Fingerboard Binding: Ebony
- Bridge: Pinned ebony base w/ tune-o-matic saddle top (nylon saddles)
- Tailpiece: Bigsby vibrato B3
- Fingerboard: Ebony w/ graduated pearl dots
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Pickups: Ron Ellis Ellisonics (custom adjustable height)
- Pots/Caps: DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs: Black/Silver or Black/Gold Reflector Top
- Pickup Rings: Black Phenolic
- Nut: 1 11/16" Delrin
- Scale Length: 24 7/8"
- Neck Joint: Extra long mortise & tenon
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Ebony w/ MOP Collings Script logo
- Peghead Profile: 470 JL Haircut
- Tuners: Relic nickel Waverly with vintage oval buttons (16:1 ratio)
- Wiring: 470 Wiring (master volume, two tones)
- Guitar Finish: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Pickguard: Acrylic Tortoise (1-ply) or Parchment (3-Ply)
- Truss Rod Cover: Black/Cream/Black
- Strings: .011" - .049"
- Body Length: 17 3/8”
- Body Depth: 1 13/16”
- Lower Bout Width: 13 1/2”
- Total Length: 38 3/4”
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage
440hz Music Store is Collings Guitars Authorized Dealer